Ravita’s Top 5 Immune Remedies to beat the Cold and Flu.
This the season of change in temperatures and bugs. If you’re a parent you have probably already experienced the wide variety of invisible creatures the kids brought home from school. So what to do to prevent and treat the cold or flu? Start now! Start by building up your immune system so that when the bugs do attack you are ready to fight. The following are a few remedies we recommend for you and your family.
- Andrographis Complex by MediHerb: This is a great antiviral that can be taken at the onset of a viral cold/flu. It has a combination of Andrographis leaf, Echinacea angustifolia, and Holy Basil. Andrographis contains andrographolides which supports healthy upper respiratory function including the throat, sinuses, and lungs. Holy Basil in particular upregulates polymorphonuclear cells, a type of phagocytes that digest and engulfs foreign particle or cells that invade the body.
- Adaptogen (Adrenal Support) by Restorative Formulations: This formula contains adaptogens such as Ashwaganda, Astragalus, and Eleuthro. The Adrenal glands are directly linked to the health of the immune system as they are in control of our stress hormone, cortisol. When cortisol is high the immune responses in the body are low therefore creating susceptibility for illness. An adaptogen formula helps to balance the stress response and help the body adapt rather than react allowing the immune system to continue doing its job.
- ACES+Zn by Cytomatrix: This antioxidant formula increases T lymphocytes in the body creating a more efficient immune response. This combination in particular is great because it has in it the cofactors needed for optimal absorption. Bonus, kids love it! Open up the capsule into some water and they think they’re getting orange juice!
- Vitamin D: all the vitamin D we carry from the various companies have an oil base to them for optimal absorption in the gut. This liquid sunshine is a key component of a healthy immune system, especially in rainy Vancouver!
- Metagenics UltraFlora Cold Support: You may have heard of probiotics and their use in the gut, but what if we told you that every part of your body and every organ has its own unique microbiome? What?! Science is really starting to see how these beneficial bacteria that surrounds is there to protect us. This product in particular has probiotics for the lungs so is key in fighting colds and flus and those long lingering coughs.
Don’t wait until the bugs get you down, get your immune boosting, stress busting, supplement regime started today. Supplements aren’t the only things that help immunity, what we eat plays a major role. In this season the digestive system needs extra support, it isn’t as speedy as it was in the summer time. To nourish it eat lots of soups and stews so your boy doesn’t have to work hard to digest food but can put the energy towards keeping you healthy.